Monday, March 12, 2012

REVIEW: Theresa Rebeck's SEMINAR

On Sunday March 11th, I had the opportunity to see Theresa Rebeck's SEMINAR starring Alan Rickman (Harry Potter, Sweeney Todd), Lily Rabe (Merchant of Venice), Hamish Linklater, Hettienne Park and Jerry O'Connell. I can say without a doubt this is one of the best plays I have EVER seen!!!

To start, this original play, which was a risk to debut directly on Broadway, was fantastically and smartly written with comedy running through it. It was not just funny, but it was smart, witty, and sexy.

Regardless of how well it was written, the acting brought this play to the next level. Alan Rickman was exquisite as the pompous, playboy writing teacher Leonard. He delivered every line perfectly, hitting all the right notes. The rest of this super talented ensemble matched his perfection and wonder. Even Park, Linklater, and O'Connell, who were in their Broadway debuts, stayed on par with Rickman and showed how they have become Broadway's most talented acting ensemble (in my opinion at least).

The set was awesome, depicting a really cool New York apartment, and the lighting was perfect, closely mirroring and advancing the plot. The sound was really cool, with an awesome sound effect between every scene (I want it as my ringtone).

I highly recommend EVERYONE going to see this show. I recommend before the majority of the cast leaves on April 1st, but am sure their replacements will be great as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment