Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Lackluster Fall on the Rialto

As we approach the true start of the 2012-2013 Broadway season, it is interesting to see the lackluster shows that will be opening this fall. This is shaping up to be one of the more boring seasons in my memory. The shows opening are (NOTE: I am not including shows that are returning for a second run):

Chaplin
An Enemy of the People
Grace
Cyrano de Bergerac
If There Is I Haven't Found It Yet
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Annie
The Heiress
Running on Empty
Scandalous
Glengarry Glen Ross
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
The Performers
Rebecca
Dead Accounts
A Christmas Story! The Musical
Golden Boy
The Anarchist
The Other Boy

While their are a few big name titles (Who's Afraid, Annie, Cyrano, Glengarry, Drood), a few big name authors (Mamet, Albee, Kathie Lee Gifford), and a few big name actors (Gyllenhaal, Holmes, Rivera, Hodge), this fall is truly lacking the "WOW" factor that drives sales and interest. I don't forsee many of these shows lasting longer than many of their limited runs.

In terms of plays, the high points, I think, are VIRGINIA WOOLF, which I saw in DC and was AMAZING, GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, which boast Pacino and an amazing cast, and The Anarchist, another combination of Mamet and an amazing cast. All of these though don't in my opinion have much lasting power. Other than these shows, the plays are extremely lackluster.

The musicals will, in a word, fail. DROOD and ANNIE have potential to drive in some major audiences through the holidays just based on name recognition, but they aren't where I am worried. All of the new musicals (REBECCA, SCANDALOUS, and CHAPLIN) are drawing very little attention, have minimal star power, and just don't seem like they will succeed. While I hope they are all great and do well, this just seems highly unlikely.

I think their will be a lot of open real estate this spring to make way for hopefully a more exciting spring. Is there anything you guys are particularly excited for or dreading? Comment and add your opinions!


1 comment:

  1. Great minds think alike. I'm half-way through a post almost identical to this. I started it last night. I'm seriously disappointed in the upcoming season.

    ReplyDelete