Wednesday, December 5, 2012

REVIEW: CHAPLIN Original Broadway Cast Recording


CHAPLIN has had a very mixed life on Broadway. First it extended, then it announced a national tour, and just this week it announced it is closing on January 6th. In the middle of all this, the cast recorded a cast recording that is, like the show's journey, a bit of a roller coaster.

I actually liked this recording a lot more than I expected to, but it still was nothing special. I could see this doing really well regionally, but totally understand why it isn't taking off on Broadway.

The vocals were good. Not great. Not horrrible.

The songs were good. Not great. Not horrrible.

I think Rob McClure is a standout, but vocally is not all that reviews have cracked him up to be. Christiane Noll is phenomenal on the recording, as is Jenn Colella, especially on her big number, "All Falls Down."

I think the album deserves a listen, but after listening, I definitely understand why this show has not been a sweeping success.

No comments:

Post a Comment