Tuesday, December 4, 2012

REVIEW: LEAP OF FAITH Cast Recording


So today the (long awaited?) cast recording of Alan Menken's newest Broadway show LEAP OF FAITH, starring Raul Esparza and Jessica Phillips, was released. Having seen the show (review here), and feeling very mediocre, I think the recording proves there was a show in there.

My biggest problem with the production was that it was rushed and the story wasn't fleshed out. The music was fun and showed off the actors' voices, even if it is not going to change the shape of modern musical theatre.

If you listen to the recording, which is about 5/8 belting, 2/8 dialogue, and 1/8 other, you might wonder why it closed so quickly.

Raul Esparza, as always, shines, and Leslie Odom Jr. (Smash), I think is better on the recording than he was live. Phillips, unfortunately, is boring and lifeless on the recording in my opinion, and doesn't shine in the same way she did live on stage.

Highlights for me are "Step Into the Light," "Are You On the Bus?" and "Jonas' Soliloquy."

I highly recommend this, if only for a single full listen on Spotify then buying some of the tracks individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment