Thursday, December 6, 2012

REVIEW: Shakespeare Theatre Company's A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM


Last night I went to see Shakespeare's A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM at the Shakespeare Theatre Company here in DC. Having never seen a production of this show before, I was intrigued. (NOTE: Just this morning, an extension to Jan. 6th was announced).

I think the production values of this production (like most STC productions) was extremely high. I loved the set and the lighting design and the way a simple set could become complex and serve as a jungle gym for the fairies and actors.

Another part of this production I loved was the inclusion of music and choreography. I've never seen a straight play with a dance captain before. It really added to the unwritten beats of the play and turned this into an atypical production of such a classic piece of theatre.

Overall, I thought the acting was mixed. I thought Puck and Bottom were standouts, turning every beat into a real, fun, comedic moment. On the other hand, the actors playing the lovers: Helena, Hermia, Lysander, and Demetrius struggled in my opinion in not only acting realistically, but also creating characters that I, as an audience member, could care about.

Overall it was a good night of theatre and if you want to see some good Shakespeare this is definitely a good option, but I wouldn't say a "must-see" by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment