Monday, March 12, 2012

REVIEW: Lincoln Center Theatre's OTHER DESERT CITIES


On Saturday March 10th, I saw OTHER DESERT CITIES at the Booth Theatre. OTHER DESERT CITIES stars Stockard Channing, Judith Light, Justin Kirk, Stacy Keach, and Elizabeth Marvel by Jon Robin Baitz.

I thoroughly enjoyed this play about a wealthy Hollywood family with their own secrets and drama (like every good Hollywood family). I thought the standout of the play was how wonderfully acted it was on every level and I think it was overall a fantastic play and I understand why it is getting the reviews it is.

Stockard Channing was brilliant as the scheming, appearance-conscious Polly Wyeth. She maintained poise and power throughout the show and was AMAZING. Likewise, Stacy Keach shined as her husband. I think Marvel was strong as their daughter Brooke, but think she was not quite as strong as everyone around here. That being said, she was still great.

I think the set was gorgeous and elegant and I immediately could tell this was a rich, Hollywood family's house, before the lights in the house even dimmed. I did at times have trouble hearing the show, as there were no microphones whatsoever. The lighting was relatively basic, but was sufficient for the simple technical requirements of this show.

I highly recommend going to see this wonderful show, especially before this supremely talented cast leaves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment